Monday, June 23, 2008

Pooper Pie's New Dome

You will all be very glad to know that Cooper made it through his procedure today with flying colors. There were very little, if any, complications and he is now resting very peacefully with his new round dome. I thought all day about the best way to blog about today's events and as of 8:28 on Monday evening I have decided to give an hour by hour account of our adventures today.









5:30 a.m. - The alarm goes off and Jennifer and I hop (I probably hopped a little bit higher than Jenn) out of bed to get ready for the big day. Thank god that Gran decided to head up a day early because Caleb started to miss his brother a little early and was up a few times last night. Gran took the late shift so that Daddy was able to get a little rest! After frantically packing the car with the bags by the door we were off to the hospital @ 6:15 (ON TIME!)








7:00 a.m. - Arrive at the hospital and make it to our 1st waiting room. This waiting room was Daddy's least favorite as all it was really there to do was take my copay! $250 later we were off to the second waiting room for a little play time and a meeting with Dr. Jane the Anesthesiologist.








8:30 a.m. - COOPER IS PISSED because he hasn't had anything to eat or drink since 6 p.m. the night before. Dr. Jane, the god-send that she was, decides it is time for the "happy juice". I don't know what "happy juice" is, but after seeing the effects it had on Cooper, I wanted some myself.








9:00 a.m. - Dr. Jane takes Cooper back for his surgery. Mommy cries. And we are back to the 1st waiting room to start the waiting process.








10 a.m. - The nurse stops by and lets us know that they have started the procedure and everything is going according to plan. From then until 2 p.m. the nurses and doctors were really good about giving us periodic updates. We only had to call once to get an update. You will all by happy to know that all updates were fantastic and my lil man was a trooper through the whole thing.




Highlights from the wait:



  • Dr. Bum - OK, Dr. Bum is supposedly very good at the whole brain/skull surgery thing. Bedside manner however is not his strong suit. We asked him when he came to give an update if we were doing the right thing and his response was, "I you hadn't your family portraits would look really funny in the future." Thanks for the insight Dr. Bum.



  • The Hell Child - I know hospitals are not fun for kids his age, but this kid was off the freaking walls. The only thing that would calm him was the Disney Channel, so we got to watch about 3 hours of "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" this afternoon.



  • The Half Family Update - There was a public phone in the the waiting room and after about 4 hours of waiting it started to ring. I TOLD Jennifer to leave the darn thing alone but she insisted on answering the phone. The person on the other end of the phone asked for a member of the Half family. Jennifer responds with, "We are the only ones here". The problem with this response is that it was untrue. We were the only people in our section of the waiting room, but the other section was filled with the entire Half Family. Let's just say the 14 members of the Half Family were less than happy about missing their phone call. The waiting room nurse got an ear full because Jennifer wouldn't leave the phone be.




2 p.m. - Cooper is out of Surgery and Mommy and Daddy are holding him in recovery! He has a little turbin on his head and there are wires coming out of everywhere, but other than the aesthetics he is perfect!





4 p.m. - We check in to the ICU and our little Pooper Pie is resting peacefully with his new dome. I know my big boy is going to be fine and Mommy and Daddy are much less stressed out!





I will try and blog tomorrow and post more pics! Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. Keep 'em coming!

2 comments:

Casey Jo said...

I am so glad everything went well. On the way to work this morning I know A-Ma (ha) was glad to hear Matt say "Everything is Fantastic." You guys are in my prayers for a speedy recovery!!!

Love - CJ

H said...

Yeah!!! Glad he is doing so well.

Holly McClaren